The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975 having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework, available at: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Law_at_ESA/Highlights_of_ESA_rules_and_regulations
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This notice is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This notice is also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1) Who is the Data Controller?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken by ESA as Data Controller
(2) What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at DPO@esa.int
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions [***] below.
(3) What kind of personal data about you are collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular:
- Information in connection with your use of the website commercialisation.esa.int such as information in server logs, including information on how the website was used by you, your search queries.
You are required not to send to the Agency any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, religious or philosophical beliefs, health life, sexual orientation, genetic or biometric data, criminal convictions).
(4) How are your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including via
- Enquiries you may send to ESA;
- registration to the newsletter sent by the Commercialisation Gateway
- helpdesk requests for support;
- applications to attend the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway.
(5) Why are your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed so as:
- to provide you access to, and enable the use of the website ;
- to manage your relationship with the Agency as well as your requests and applications in relation to the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway (seminars, workshops, conferences, trainings)
- to enable your participation in the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway (seminars, workshops, conferences, trainings)to send you notifications in connection with the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway (seminars, workshops, conferences, trainings) to highlight and promote the Commercialisation Gateway website and the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway, to communicate on the Commercialisation Gateway website and the events organised by the Commercialisation Gateway as well as to promote similar events, in the future on any media
- to send you newsletters and new features in relation with the Commercialisation Gateway
- to conduct surveys
- to communicate your personal data to third-parties collaborators, contractors and/or partners involved in the organisation of the Commercialisation Gateway events or in the fulfilment of any of the other purposes;
- The information is used for aggregated statistics on the use of this website.
- may be used to categorise the browser on your computer and support us in storing user preferences and usage trends [add the relevant data, e.g. on an aggregated basis].
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) To whom might we disclose your personal data?
The Agency may disclose your personal data to any of the following third party recipients for the fulfilment of all or part of the purposes of the collection and processing of personal data, which are mentioned above:
|Recipient acting as:||Servers and sub-processors of the recipient are located in:|
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(7) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the above mentioned purposes. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
(8) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
The Agency is keen to collect and process accurate personal data and to keep it updated.
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that ESA cannot process the inscription to the event, send you newsletters and fulfil your support request.
The above-mentioned request should be submitted to the ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copy to: DownstreamGateway@esa.int
You may also be allowed access to your personal data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, according to the following modalities write an email to DownstreamGateway@esa.int
(9) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: email@example.com
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
(10) Your consent
For those cases where your consent was not already obtained by ESA (including by other modalities) and is required under the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection, you agree with the collection and further processing of your personal data (as select on the form).
You will be able to withdraw your consent depending on the modality used to collect your personal data, in particular
(11) Media rights
Media Rights – Identification information – Personal Data
By submitting an Application to a Workshop/Event, the Participants irrevocably accept that:
- ESA and/or the Sponsor (and any third parties acting on their behalf) may collect, further use and process, generate identification information and personal data, including:
- first name, last name, professional e-mail address, country, affiliation, and
- images, video and/or audio recordings, photographs, blogs address and blog content etc. submitted by the Participant or by any Team member.
- The collection, use and processing are done:
- for the purpose of the event (e.g. to provide access, for request or delivery of information, etc.) as well as for communication purposes, in particular to highlight the event and to promote similar events in the future;
- in all media and/or by all networks, anywhere throughout the world;
- without additional permission or compensation being necessary;
- for as long as the above-mentioned purposes subsist.
- Identification data as well as images, video and/or audio recordings, photographs, blogs address, blog contents provided by a Participant on its own behalf and on behalf of the Team members are deemed to be provided as part of the Application and, thus, their use by ESA and the Sponsor is permitted as per Article 11 herein.
- If, at the submission of an Application, the Participant does not submit all the required identification information and/or personal data, the Participant will not be given access to the corresponding Website page and may be considered as non-eligible.